PM Modi to visit Thailand for ASEAN, East Asia and RCEP summits
PM Modi will embark a three-day visit to Thailand to participate in the ASEAN, East Asia and RCEP summits. In 2018, India had hosted the Indo-ASEAN summit commemorating its 25th anniversary, where all the 10 ASEAN leaders participated. Later the Delhi Declaration was adopted where the leaders agreed to further strengthen and deepen ASEAN-India strategic partnership.
- The Prime Minister is to co-chair the summit on the first day
- He will release a commemorative coin marking the 550th birth anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev
- He will also release the Thai translation of classic Tirukkural
- PM will also co-chair the ASEAN-India summit along with Thailand PM Prayut Chan-o-cha
Highlights: East Asia Summit
- The theme of the East Asia summit was chosen by Thailand and the theme is “Advancing Partnerships for sustainability”. In September 2019, India co-hosted the India-ASEAN workshop on the theme “Sustainable use of marine resources”
- This year, in 2019, the 14th East Asia summit is to focus on reviewing the future direction of East Asia cooperation and exchange views on regional and international issues
- The leaders of RCEP will discuss and review the state of negotiations that are ongoing in Bangkok.