PM Narendra Modi launches first phase of SAUNI project in Gujarat
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched the first phase of SAUNI (Saurastra Narmada Avataran Irrigation) Yojana at Sanodara of Jamnagar district of Gujarat.
SAUNI Yojana is multipurpose project that aims to solve the water problems of a parched Saurashtra region of Gujarat.
- Technically, SAUNI is a ‘linking’ project where the water will be filled in irrigation dams that are already equipped with canal network.
- Under this project, 115 dams in the Saurashtra region will be filled with excess water from the Sardar Sarovar dam.
- In the first phase, around 10 dams and reservoirs of Rajkot, Jamnagar and Morbi districts will be filled with water from Narmada River for irrigation and drinking purposes.
- SAUNI project involves making pipe canals instead of the conventional open canals which has led to no acquisition of land for the project.
- This network of canals will comprise 1,125-km network of pipelines that will help to channel water into farms.
Saruashtra region of Gujarat comprises 11 districts. These districts faces drought like situation often and has been reeling under severe water scarcity due to scanty rainfall. The SAUNI Yojana was announced in 2012 when PM Modi was the Chief Minister of Gujarat.
Map Source: Indian Express
Categories: States Current Affairs - 2017