PM Narendra Modi launches Pradhan Mantri Gramin Awas Yojana
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched the Pradhan Mantri Gramin Awas Yojana (PMAY-G), flagship housing for all scheme in Agra, Uttar Pradesh.
Under PMAY-G Government aims to provide affordable, environmentally safe and secure pucca house to every rural household living below the poverty line by 2022.
Features of Scheme
- PMAY-G is part Union Government’s flagship ‘Housing for All’ scheme and has replaced previous rural housing scheme Indira Awas Yojana
- The beneficiaries for this scheme will be selected through a completely transparent process using the Socio Economic Census 2011 data and validating it through the Gram Sabha.
- It uses ICT and space technology to further confirm correct selection of beneficiaries and progress of work.
- Under it, financial assistance will be provided for construction of dwelling units and upgradations of existing unserviceable kutcha houses.
- The entire payments will be done through transparent IT/DBT mode with Aadhaar linked Bank accounts with consent, to ensure complete transparency and accountability.
- The unit cost for houses has been increased with convergence of a minimum support of nearly Rs. 1.5 lakh to Rs. 1.6 lakh to a household is available. If the beneficiary desires, then there is also a provision of Bank loan upto Rs. 70,000.
- PMAY-G will be also serve as a major step forward in bringing together Skill India, Make In India, IT/DBT Aadhaar platform, Digital India and Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana.
- The scheme allows over 200 different housing designs across country based on a detailed study of housing typologies, households’ requirements and environmental hazards.
- It will provide skilling for 5 lakh Rural Masons by 2019 and envisages large scale use of local materials.
- Houses built under the scheme will have cooking space, electricity provision, LPG, toilet and bathing area, drinking water etc through convergence.