PM Narendra Modi lays foundation stone of Char Dham highway development project
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has laid the foundation stone of Char Dham highway development project or Chardham Mahamarg Vikas Pariyojna in Dehradun, Uttarakhand.
The Chardham Mahamarg Vikas Pariyojna is an ambitious initiative to improve connectivity to the Char Dham pilgrimage centres in the Himalayas.
- The project’s main objective is to develop around 900 km of national highways. These highways will be built at an approximate cost of Rs 12,000 crore.
- It will allow uninterrupted access for pilgrims to the four Himalayan shrines of Kedarnath, Badrinath, Gangotri and Yamunotri in Uttarakhand.
- The all-weather roads will have tunnels, bridges and fly-overs to enhance road safety and uninterrupted access.
- It will have proper slope stabilisation to ensure protection against landslides. It will benefit people visiting holy shrines in Uttarakhand.
- It will generate additional employment for the local population and will change the economy of the State as it will give strong boost to connectivity and tourism.