PM-STIAC Identifies Nine Missions
The Prime Minister’s Science, Technology and Innovation Council (PM-STIAC) has identified nine national missions to address major scientific challenges to ensure India’s sustainable development. Through the nine missions, the PM-STIAC aims to facilitate collaboration to solve complex problems.
Nine Missions Identified
Natural Language Translation
Through a combination of machine and human translation, the mission aims to enable access to teaching and research material bilingually i.e. in English and one’s native Indian language.
This mission aims to initiate works in control of the quantum mechanical systems, with a large number of degrees of freedom, as one of the great contemporary challenges in fundamental science and technology.
The mission focuses on efforts that will benefit India in addressing societal needs in areas such as healthcare, education, agriculture, smart cities and infrastructure, including smart mobility and transportation
National Biodiversity Mission
This mission involves
- Comprehensive documentation of India’s biodiversity with the potential for cataloguing and mapping all lifeforms in India including associated cultural and traditional practices.
- Assessment of the distribution and conservation status of India’s biodiversity.
- Development of a cadre of professionals adept at handling large sets of environmental data for management and monitoring of biodiversity.
- Expansion of knowledge in ecosystem functioning that will inform restoration efforts.
- Establishment of a vibrant biodiversity based economy on a solid foundation of reliable information, engagement with the public.
- Enhanced options for agricultural production and livelihood security and the general well-being of society.
The mission aims to reduce India’s fossil fuel emissions and mitigate emissions by making Electric Vehicles economical and scalable through focused research, development and innovation and building of indigenous capacity.
BioScience for Human Health
The mission through the use of healthy and disease samples aims to understand the impact of nature and nurture on health. The mission aims to construct comprehensive reference maps of genomes and to understand the dynamics of how exposure to different environments have an impact on our bodies.
Waste To Wealth
The mission aims to identify, develop and deploy technologies to treat waste to generate energy, recycle materials and extract worth. The mission will work to identify and support the development of new technologies that hold promise in creating a clean and green environment.
Deep Ocean Exploration
The mission aims to scientifically explore the deep oceans towards improving our understanding of the blue frontier. The information from this mission will address issues arising from long term changes in the ocean due to climate change.
This mission aims to support the national efforts to boost the innovation ecosystem in the country by connecting innovators across the industry, individuals and the grassroots to the market and helping commercialise innovative solutions. It will provide a platform for innovators to bring their technology ready products and solutions to industry 6 and the market thereby helping propel techno-entrepreneurship which can usher a new era of inclusive socio-economic growth.
Categories: Science & Technology