Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana features into Guinness book of World Records
NDA government’s flagship scheme Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) has entered into Guinness book of World Records.
Guinness book of World Records has given certificate stating it as most bank accounts opened in one week.
In one week, 18,096,130 bank accounts were opened as part of the financial inclusion campaign from 23rd to 29th August, 2014. It was achieved by the Department of Financial Services (Government of India).
Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY)
- It was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi with the goal of eradicating financial untouchability of the poor by opening at least one bank account for every family in the country in less than six months.
- It seeks to financially empower the poor by providing them access to formal banking system.
- It also seeks to provide platform for Direct Benefits Transfer (DBT) which will curb leakages in government subsidies and thus saving government exchequer.
- Initially, after its launch the scheme had a target of opening 7.5 crore bank accounts by 26 January, 2015, but later it was revised and raised to 10 crore bank accounts.
- As on 17th January 2015, PMJDY has achieved feat of opening of 11.50 crore bank accounts under it in the short span of 5 months since it was launched.