President gives assent to Haryana Gauvansh Sanrakshan and Gausamvardhan Bill, 2015
President Pranab Mukherjee has given his assent to the Haryana Gauvansh Sanrakshan and Gausamvardhan Bill, 2015 or Haryana Cow Protection Bill, 2015.
Thus, with the presidential assent the bill has come into force in the form of a law (Act). It completely bans cow slaughter, sale of beef and beef products in Haryana. It also has provisions for rigorous imprisonment and penalty for violators.
Features of Bill
- Complete ban of cow slaughter, sale of beef and beef products in Haryana state.
- Punishment: Violators will get rigorous imprisonment ranging from three to 10 years and a fine of up to 1 lakh rupees.
- Cow trafficking: Bans cow trafficking and in case any person who wants to export cows will have to seek permission for the same.
- Any person found guilty in exporting cows for slaughter would be imprisoned for 3 to 7 years and imposes fine between 30,000 rupees and 70,000 rupees.
- The bill was passed by the Haryana legislative assembly in March 2015. But after its passage, Haryana governor Kaptan Singh Solanki had reserved it for the consideration and assent of the President as per provisions of Article 201 of the Constitution.
- It should be noted that preservation and improvement of livestock, particularly the cow and calves has been listed in Article 48 of the Constitution under the directive principles of state policy.
Categories: Bills & Acts