President Pranab Mukherjee inaugurates centenary celebration of Patna High Court
The centenary celebration of Patna High Court was inaugurated on 18 April 2015 by President Pranab Mukherjee.
He also released a commemorative postage stamp on this occasion to mark HC’s glorious judicial history.
Bihar Governor Keshari Nath Tripathi was in the chair and Chief Justice of India (CJI) H.L. Dattu was guest of the honour on this occasion.
Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, Union Law Minister D.V. Sadananda Gowda and Union IT Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad also had attended the function.
Facts about Patna High Court
- On 1 December 1913, then Viceroy of India, Lord Charles Hardine had laid the foundation stone of the existing Patna High Court building.
- On 3 February 1916, the building was formally opened by Lord Hardine. The court had started functioning with a chief justice and 6 judges under the provisions of Government of India Act 1915.
- At present it has sanctioned strength of 43 judges.
- Rajendra Prasad, India’s first President and Sachchidanand Sinha, first president of the constituent assembly also had practised at this court.
- 3 Chief Justices from Patna High Court went on to become the Chief Justice of India (CJI). They are Justice B.P. Sinha (6th CJI), Justice Lalit Mohan Sharma (24th CJI) and Justice Rajendra Mal Lodha (41st CJI).