President Pranab Mukherjee presents Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam IGNITE Awards
President Pranab Mukherjee presented the Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam IGNITE Awards to the children winning IGNITE competition at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
This year, total 31 students were awarded for their ideas and innovations in the IGNITE competition organized by the National Innovation Foundation (NIF).
About Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam IGNITE competition
- The IGNITE competition is a national competition of original technological ideas and innovations by children up to class 12 or those out of school up to the age of 17 years.
- The award is an effort to focus primarily on the creativity of the children and promote inclusive and compassionate thinking among them.
- It was started in 2008 and is organized every year by National Innovation Foundation (NIF) to promote creativity and originality among children.
- The awards of competition are announced on 15 October every year on Dr APJ Abdul Kalam’s birthday, which is celebrated by NIF as Children’s Creativity and Innovation Day.
About National Innovation Foundation (NIF)
- NIF is an autonomous body of the Department of Science and Technology, Union Ministry of Science and Technology.
- It was set up in February 2000 to provide institutional support for scouting, sustaining, spawning and scaling up the grassroots innovations across the country.
- Since then, it has been actively engaged in promoting creativity and innovation in society. It has taken major initiatives to serve knowledge-rich but economically poor people of the country.
- It is committed to making India innovative by documenting, adding value, protecting IPR of contemporary unaided technological innovators as well as of outstanding traditional knowledge-holders and disseminating their innovations on non-commercial and commercial basis.
Categories: Awards Current Affairs