Public Enterprises Survey 2017-18
The Public Enterprises Survey 2017-18 was tabled in the Parliament. The Survey mapped the performance of the various central public sector units. The survey was undertaken by the Department of Public Enterprises, Ministry of Heavy Industries & Public Enterprises.
Findings of the Survey
The major highlights of the performance of CPSEs are:
- Indian Oil Corporation, ONGC and NTPC were the top three most profitable PSUs in 2017-18. They contributed 13.37 per cent, 12.49 per cent and 6.48 per cent, respectively to the total profit earned by CPSEs (Central Public Sector Enterprises) during 2017-18.
- The fourth and fifth positions were occupied by Coal India and Power Grid Corporation in the list of top 10 profit making CPSEs in the 2017-18 fiscal.
- The Power Finance Corporation entered into the list of the top ten profit making CPSEs and the Mangalore Refinery & Petrochemicals Ltd did not feature in the latest list.
- The top ten profit making CPSEs accounted for 61.83 per cent of the total profit earned by all the 184 profit making state-owned firms during the year 2017-18.
- BSNL, Air India and MTNL incurred the highest losses for the second consecutive year. They contributed 52.15 per cent of the total loss incurred by CPSEs in 2017-18.
- The top ten loss-making PSUs claimed 84.71 per cent of the total losses made by all the 71 CPSEs.
- Bharat Coking Coal Limited which incurred huge losses in 2017-18 entered into the list of top ten loss making CPSEs.
- India Infrastructure Finance Co and Eastern Coalfields, which were profit-making PSUs till 2016-17, have started incurring losses and have featured in the list of top ten loss-making state-owned firms during 2017-18.
The survey notes that there were 339 Central Public Sector Enterprises (CPSE) in 2017-18, out of which 257 was in operation. Remaining 82 of the CPSEs were under construction.
Categories: Business, Economy & Banking
Tags: Air India • Bharat Coking Coal Limited • BSNL • Coal India • Eastern Coalfields • India Infrastructure Finance Co • Indian Oil Corporation • Mangalore Refinery & Petrochemicals Ltd • MTNL • NTPC • ONGC • Power Finance Corporation • Power Grid Corporation • Public Enterprises Survey 2017-18