Quadricycles to ply from October 1, 2014
The Quadricycles will be allowed to run in cities across the country from October 1, 2014. It will have hard top and doors. As a safety measure, it will be mandatory for such vehicles to have seatbelts for both the occupants in the front and two in the rear seat.
Objective to permit Quadricycles: To replace the auto-rickshaws because the emission norms of these vehicles are better than auto-rickshaws.
- Four-wheel vehicle with a small engine.
- Maximum speed: 70 kmph.
- Manufactured by Bajaj Auto.
- Expected to run 35 km on a litre of fuel.
- Won’t be allowed to ply on highways.
- More efficient on security and safety concerns as it had introduced the provision of seatbelts and braking system like that of cars, which falls under M1 category of vehicles.
- The weight of the battery excluded from the vehicle curb weight to promote no carbon emission.
Categories: Science & Technology
Tags: Current Affairs 2014