Rajya Sabha passes Constitution (Scheduled Castes) Orders (Amendment) Bill, 2015
Rajya Sabha has passed the Constitution (Scheduled Castes) Orders Amendment Bill, 2015. It was unanimously passed by a voice vote.
The bill seeks to modify the list of Scheduled Castes in three states- Haryana, Karnataka, Odisha and one Union Territory- Dadra and Nagar Haveli.
The Bill amends the Constitution (Scheduled Castes) Order, 1950 and the Constitution (Dadra and Nagar Haveli) Scheduled Castes Order, 1962.
The Bill adds the following communities to the list of Scheduled Castes:
- Haryana: Kabirpanthi, Julaha.
- Karnataka: Bhovi, od, odde, Vaddar, Waddar.
- Odisha: Dhoba, Dhobi, Dom, Dombo, Duria Dom, Katia, Kela, Nalua Kela, Khadala and Turi.
- Dadra and Nagar Haveli: Chamar.
- The bill was first tabled in 2014 but lapsed after the previous 15th Lok Sabha was dissolved. It was again introduced by the NDA government to end all kinds of atrocities against the Scheduled Castes in these states.
- The bill was introduced in Parliament as per the provisions of Article 341 of the Constitution.
Article 341- It empowers the President to specify castes which will be deemed as Scheduled Castes through a notification. It also empowers Parliament to include or exclude castes from the list of Scheduled Castes in the notification.
Categories: Bills & Acts