Rashtriya Gokul Mission
The Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare is implementing the scheme of Rashtriya Gokul Mission to conserve and develop indigenous breeds in a focused and scientific manner.
The scheme comprises of two components namely National Programme for Bovine Breeding (NPBB) and National Mission on Bovine Productivity (NMBP).
Objectives of the Mission
The objectives of the Mission are:
- Development and conservation of indigenous breeds.
- Undertaking breed improvement programmes for indigenous cattle breeds so as to improve the genetic makeup and increase the stock.
- Enhancing milk production and productivity.
- Upgrading nondescript cattle using elite indigenous breeds like Gir, Sahiwal, Rathi, Deoni, Tharparkar, Red Sindhi.
- Distributing disease free high genetic merit bulls for natural service.
Initiatives under the Rashtriya Gokul Mission
The following initiatives have been undertaken under the Rashtriya Gokul Mission:
- Establishment of integrated cattle development centres ‘Gokul Grams’ to develop indigenous breeds.
- Awards for encouraging farmers and breeder societies to rear Indigenous breeds of Bovines. Gopal Ratna award for farmers maintaining the best herd of Indigenous Breed and practising best management practices. Kamdhenu award for best managed Indigenous Herd by Institutions/Trusts/ NGOs/ Gaushalas or best-managed Breeders’ Societies.
- National Kamdhenu Breeding Centres are being established as Centres of Excellence to develop and conserve Indigenous Breeds in a holistic and scientific manner.
- An e-market portal “E-Pashu Haat”- Nakul Prajnan Bazaar for connecting breeders and farmers, an authentic market for quality- disease-free bovine germplasm in the form of i) semen; ii) embryos; iii) calves; iv) heifers and v) adult bovines with different agencies/stakeholders.
- Pashu Sanjivni Programme encompassing the provision of Animal Health cards (‘Nakul Swasthya Patra’) along with UID identification and uploading data on National Data Base.
- Advanced Reproductive Technology: Including Assisted Reproductive Technique- In-vitro Fertilization (IVF)/ Multiple Ovulation Embryo Transfer (MOET) and sex-sorted semen technique to improve the availability of disease-free female bovines.
- National Bovine Genomic Center for Indigenous Breeds (NBGC-IB) for selection of breeding bulls of high genetic merit at a young age using highly precise gene-based technology.
Rashtriya Gokul Mission aims to enhance the productivity of the indigenous breeds of India through professional farm management and superior nutrition.
Categories: Government Schemes in India