Renowned agro-economist Sharad Joshi passes away
Renowned agro-economist and veteran leader of farmers Sharad Anantrao Joshi passed away in Pune, Maharashtra. He was 81.
He was founder of Shetakari Sanghtana (farmers’ Organisation) an NGO dedicated to the cause of farmers in Maharashtra.
About Sharad Joshi
- Sharad Joshi was born in 1935 in Satara district of Maharashtra.
- Prior to establishing Shetakari Sanghtana in 1979 he had worked with Pune University as lecturer of Economics and Statistics and later worked with United Nations (UN).
- He had served as a member of Advisory Board of the World Agricultural Forum (WAF).
- Joshi had spearheaded numerous agitations, protests, fasts throughout the state to highlight the issue of reasonable prices for agricultural produce.
- He was Rajya Sabha member from 2004 to 2010. He was the sole MP in Upper House to vote against the bill providing 33% reservation for women in Parliament and assemblies.
Categories: Persons in News