Renowned journalist Cho S Ramaswamy passes away
Veteran journalist Cho S Ramaswamy passed away in Chennai following a prolonged illness. He was 82. He was a lawyer, actor, journalist, commentator and a political interlocutor.
He was founder and editor of Thuglak, a Tamil political magazine known for its withering satire and fearless criticism of political figures.
About Cho S Ramaswamy
- Born on October 5, 1934. He was a lawyer by training and later branched into theatre, films and finally to journalism.
- He has acted in 180 movies, scripted 14 and directed four. He had acted in movies along with MG Ramachandran, Jayalalithaa, Kamal Hassan, Rajinikanth and others.
- He also has directed several movies and over 20 Tamil plays. He was also a screen play writer. His work in the popular theatre was laced with political and social criticism.
- Ramaswamy’s other writings covered a wide variety of subjects. He was well-versed in the Indian epics, Vedas and Puranas, he wrote copiously on religion and culture.
- He was awarded with B.D. Goenka award for excellence in journalism. He was nominated to the Rajya Sabha by then NDA government and served as an MP from 1999 to 2005.
Categories: Persons in News