Renowned journalist Cho S Ramaswamy passes away
Veteran journalist Cho S Ramaswamy passed away in Chennai following a prolonged illness. He was 82. He was a lawyer, actor, journalist, commentator and a political interlocutor.
He was founder and editor of Thuglak, a Tamil political magazine known for its withering satire and fearless criticism of political figures.
About Cho S Ramaswamy
- Born on October 5, 1934. He was a lawyer by training and later branched into theatre, films and finally to journalism.
- He has acted in 180 movies, scripted 14 and directed four. He had acted in movies along with MG Ramachandran, Jayalalithaa, Kamal Hassan, Rajinikanth and others.
- He also has directed several movies and over 20 Tamil plays. He was also a screen play writer. His work in the popular theatre was laced with political and social criticism.
- Ramaswamy’s other writings covered a wide variety of subjects. He was well-versed in the Indian epics, Vedas and Puranas, he wrote copiously on religion and culture.
- He was awarded with B.D. Goenka award for excellence in journalism. He was nominated to the Rajya Sabha by then NDA government and served as an MP from 1999 to 2005.