Renowned Kannada filmmaker and lyricist Geethapriya passes away
Renowned Kannada filmmaker and lyricist Geethapriya passed away after a battle with throat cancer in Bengaluru, Karnataka. He was 84.
He has penned lyrics for over 250 immortal songs and directed 40 films including one in Hindi.
- Geethapriya was born as Lakshman Rao Mohite on 15 June 1932. His mother tongue was Marathi.
- He started to work in the Kannada film industry in the mid-1960 and soon after he took to direction. He had worked in the film industry for over five decades.
- His first song was for Sri Rama Pooja film in 1954 and his directorial debut was through film Mannina Maga in 1968 starring Rajkumar.
- He was famously known as Geethapriya (lover of songs) as a result of his renowned work as a song-writer. He had directed his last film Shravana Sambhrama in 2003.
- Some of famous directorial films are Yaava Janmada Maithri (1972), Beluvalada Madilalli (1975), Besuge (1976), Putani Agent 123 (1979) and Mouna Geethe (1985) etc.
- Awards and Honours: Puttanna Kanagal award (1986) for lifetime achievement and Karnataka Rajyotsava award.