Restoration works continues in Andhra Pradesh, Centre gives Rs. 1000 Crore
Relief and rehabilitation efforts were taking place to the fullest extent in Andhra Pradesh, as the state tries to get back to normal. Meanwhile, PM Modi announced interim relief of Rs. 1,000 cr for Andhra Pradesh.
PM Modi arrived in Visakhapatnam and conducted an aerial survey of cyclone hit regions. He reviewed the scale of destruction and the ongoing rescue and relief operations. The PM also held a review meeting with the CM of Andhra, state leaders and other officials. Post meeting, the PM made the following announcements:-
- Ex-gratia of Rs. 2 lakh for the family members of the deceased
- Interim relief of Rs. 1,000 cr for Andhra (AP CM has requested for 2,000 cr)
- Formation of teams by the Centre, which will visit cyclone hit areas and submit reports on damage incurred by each sector. Then, allotment of funds will be done on the basis of these reports.
Extent of destruction/loss
- Visakhapatnam Port Trust has incurred losses worth Rs. 200 cr. Also, it will take at least a week to restore flights activities.
- Eastern Power Distribution Company of Andhra Pradesh Limited alone has incurred a loss of Rs. 40,000 crore, including damage to substations, high-tension transmission lines, poles and disruption in distribution network.
- 16,000 electric poles and 6,000 transformers have been damaged
- Rashtriya Ispat Nigam Limited has incurred a loss of Rs. 1,000 cr
- Indian Navy has incurred a loss of Rs. 2,000 cr
- Andhra University has incurred a loss of Rs. 300 cr
- Visakhapatnam airport has incurred a loss of Rs. 500 cr
- Road networks have suffered a loss of Rs. 800 cr
- Over 6,836 houses have been damaged, and 181 boats are either damaged or missing
Relief work by Andhra government
The state government has been taking the following measures to bring life back to normalcy in the state:-
- Importance is being given to first removing the uprooted trees and clearing the debris
- Restoration of communication lines is also being taken up by cell phone companies
- Electric poles and transformers are being repaired, so that power may return to all the badly hit areas
- Packages of food items are being provided in all cyclone hit areas. This food package comprises of rice, kerosene, sugar, dal, potato, onion, palm oil and chilly powder, among others. Also, vegetables are also being supplied at very low rates so that people don’t struggle to get essential commodities
Categories: India Current Affairs 2017