RGGVY: Evaluation Studies Show a Positive Impact on Women and Education in Rural India
Evaluation studies of RGGVY (Rajiv Gandhi Grameen Vidyutikaran Yojana) commissioned by Rural Electrification Corporation have revealed that the programme has empowered the rural women.
Affect of electrification under RGGVY scheme on some states:
- Rajasthan: 75% of women are able to work in the fields after electricity reached their homes.
- Madhya Pradesh: 85% of the villagers, in particular, women and children feel more secure and protected against wild animals, venomous reptiles and robbers due to electrified households and street lights.
- Uttar Pradesh: 43% people are surveyed and reported that they have started using mobile phones after electrification since it became possible to charge the mobile sets.
- Bihar: As detected by the beneficiary households, the most important use of electricity is for illumination (94.9%), security (89.9%), and communication through cellular phones (42.1%), accessing information and entertainment (52.1%) and comforts by running fans (18.4%).
- J&K: Most people feel that security & standard of life has increased. Villagers are able to get the treatment in the night. In some of the villages, it was found that the villagers use electrical appliances for crop processing.
Positive impact of Rajiv Gandhi Grameen Vidyutikaran Yojana(RGGVY) programme
- 96% of un-electrified villages have been electrified across the country.
- Intensive electrification of 80% villages has been completed while free electricity connections have been provided to 77% BPL households under the flagship programme.
- People are able to establish small scale activities in homes viz. weaving, tailoring, grocery shops, etc.
- Students in all the states are able to study for longer hours and also save money & time which they had to spend on kerosene lamp. They also feel more comfortable during summer days due to the fans in the class.
Beneficiaries reported positive impact of education on various states viz. UP (66%), Andhra Pradesh (88%), MP(46%), Bihar (48%).