Russian Scientist develop new cheap way to produce nuclear fuel using electricity
Scientists from Russia have developed a new unique, low-cost method for producing high-quality nuclear fuel using electricity.
It is alternative novel method that forms the basis of powder metallurgy and involves electric pulse sintering under pressure.
The main type of fuel for nuclear power reactors is the uranium oxide pellet composition. It is produced from a powder by granulation, pressing, and sintering (coalescing into a solid or porous mass by heating) with the subsequent control of the quality and size of the pellets.
- In the new method, the mould is heated by passing electric current with the uranium oxide pellet powder placed in.
- The uranium oxide fuel is simultaneously influenced by the powerful pulse discharge and mechanical pressure
- Products of high quality are obtained in low cost.
- Reduces number of production stages without increasing the cost.
- Fuel pellets can be produced even from uranium dioxide powder, which is not suitable for the conventional technology.