Saina Nehwal creates history by becoming first Indian woman player to become World No. 1
Ace shuttler Saina Nehwal on 28 March 2015 created history by becoming first Indian woman to be ranked number one in the world in Badminton World Federation (BWF) rankings in Women’s Singles category.
She achieved this rare feat after Spain’s Carolina Marin’s lost her semi-final match to Thailand’s Ratchanok Intanon in the Indian Open Super Series. Saina has overtaken China’s Li Xuerui to become the highest ranked player in the world.
Saina Nehwal is the second Indian badminton player to achieve this feat, after legendary shuttler Prakash Padukone. He had achieved the top rank in 1980 in Men’s Single Category.
About Saina Nehwal
- Saina is first Indian to win Olympics medal in Badminton and had won Bronze medal at the London Olympics 2012.
- Till date, she has won a staggering 14 international titles.
- She is the first Indian to win the World Junior Badminton Championships and was also the first Indian to win a Super Series tournament and Indonesia Open in 2009.
- She also has won the China Open Super Series Premier-2014.
- Awards: Union Government has conferred with prestigious Arjuna Award (2009), Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna (2009–2010) and Padma Shri (2010) for her contribution to sports.