What is Tizen? – “Samsung launched Tizen-powered smart watches”
Samsung launched second generation Gear smart watches powered by Tizen operating system to break the iOS and Android duopoly in the mobile market.
Samsung’s NX300M smart camera was the first device to run on Tizen, and the Gear 2 paves the way for what Samsung calls the “Tizen based wearable platform.”
About second-generation Gear smart watches
Available in two models: Gear 2 and the camera-less Gear 2 Neo.
Both the variants of the Gear 2 are IP67 certified water and dust resistant.
Powered by the Tizen operating system.
Weight: Gear 2(68 gm) and Gear 2 Neo (55 gm). Both the models are lighter than the original Galaxy Gear (73.8 gm) and thinner too, at 10mm vs. 11.1mm.
The Super AMOLED display on the Gear 2, measures 1.63-inch with a 320-by-320 pixels resolution. It can accept or ignore calls, messages, and also monitor heart-rate, and our movement activity.
The Gear 2 also has 4GB of internal memory, 512MB RAM, 2.0-megapixel camera (not included in the Neo), Bluetooth 4.0 LE, and an IrLED sensor that will help control other electronic devices such as TVs and set-top boxes through the Watch ON Remote app.
The Gear 2 will be available in Charcoal Black, Gold Brown and Wild Orange colors while the Gear 2 Neo will be available in Charcoal Black, Mocha Grey and Wild Orange colors. Gear 2 Neo is made of plastic while the Gear 2 has a metal face. Both the watches will be available from April,2014.
What is Tizen?
It is a project within the Linux Foundation and is governed by a Technical Steering Group (TSG) composed of Samsung and Intel among others.
- Open-source Linux powered operating system.
- Standards-based software platform supported by leading mobile operators, device manufacturers, and silicon suppliers for multiple device categories viz. smartphones, tablets, netbooks, in-vehicle infotainment devices, smart TVs, smart cameras, etc.
- Objective: To offer a consistent user experience across devices.
- Offers an innovative operating system, applications, and a user experience that consumers can take from device to device.
- Available programming languages: HTML5, C, C++.
- Provides a robust and flexible environment for application developers, based on HTML5. With HTML5’s robust capabilities and cross platform flexibility, it is rapidly becoming the preferred development environment for mobile apps and services.
- The Tizen SDK and API allow developers to use HTML5 and related web technologies to write applications that run across multiple device segments.
Categories: Science and Technology Current Affairs - 2017