Sania joins as 4th Vice President of of ITPA
Sania Mirza joined as the fourth Vice-President of the freshly formed Tennis body in India : ITPA (Indian Tennis Players Association). Sania, was the first female player from India to win a Grand Slam. Sania now plays only in doubles as she gave up her singles career due to injuries.
The 4 Vice-Presidents of the ITPA are:
- Leander Paes
- Mahesh Bhupathi
- Somdev Devvarman
- Sania Mirza
President of ITPA:
- Jaideep Mukherjea
Why a need for ITPA when AITA already exists?
- The existing structure of tennis administration in India i.e. All India Tennis Association (AITA), is unable to represent or adequately address contemporary issues faced by the players in the India. Thus, there was a need for a separate body like ITPA which is modelled on the functioning of the ATP, which encourages players to make decisions for the benefit of the sport.
- The ITPA has conveyed its opinion in “the principles of self-governance and consultative dialogue in arriving at key decisions impacting professional tennis in the country”. The not-for-profit association, being established as a Section 25 company, has opened membership to all current and former national and international players via a process of registration.
Status of All India Tennis Association (AITA):
- The All India Tennis Association (AITA)
- Established in 1920
- Governing body of tennis in India
- Affiliated by International Tennis Federation and Asian Tennis Federation.
- Operates all of the Indian national representative tennis sides, including the India Davis Cup team, the India Fed Cup team and youth sides as well.
- Responsible for organizing and hosting tennis tournaments within India and scheduling the home international fixtures.