Satya Pal Jain appointed as part time member of 21st Law Commission
Additional Solicitor General of India and former Parliamentarian Satya Pal Jain was appointed as a part-time member of the 21st Law Commission of India.
His appointment is in addition to present charge as an Additional Solicitor General of India.
About Satya Pal Jain
- Satya Pal Jain is a noted constitution lawyer and senior BJP leader.
- He also had served as the Dean of the Law Faculty of Panjab University and presently is a Member of the Panjab University Senate.
- He has been a lawyer in various important civil and criminal cases, Presidential election disputes, Liberhan Commission of Enquiry, various election petitions and other important civil and criminal cases.
- He was elected Member of Parliament (MP) from Chandigarh in 1996 (11th Lok Sabha) and 1998 (12th Lok Sabha).
- President Pranab Mukherjee had constituted the 21st Law Commission of India in September 2015.
- Retired Judge of the Supreme Court Justice B S Chauhan was appointed as its Chairman.
- Besides, Retired judge of Gujarat High Court Justice Ravi R Tripathi and Bimal N Patel Director, GNLU were nominated members of this Commission.
About Law Commission of India (LCI)
- The LCI is a non-statutory and non-constitutional body constituted by the Union Government from time to time.
- The first commission was constituted in 1955 and since then various commissions were re-constituted every three years.
- It is usually headed by a retired Supreme Court judge or former Chief Justice of a high court.
- So far, various Law Commissions have submitted 262 reports to make important contribution towards codification and progressive development of laws of the country.
- The Secretary Department of Legal Affairs and Secretary, Legislature Department of Union Ministry of Law & Justice are ex-officio members of the Commission.