UN Security Council unanimously adopts resolution on Syria peace plan
The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) has unanimously adopted a resolution No. 2254 outlining a peace process in Syria.
The resolution endorses an international roadmap for a Syria peace process to end Syria’s five-year-long civil war.
- The resolution endorses formal talks on a political transition between the President Bashar al-Assad led Syrian government and opposition in early January 2016.
- Calls for implementation of a ceasefire in parallel with the talks on a political transition.
- Offensive and defensive actions against such terrorist groups in Syria such as ISIS will continue.
- Calls for establishment of credible, inclusive and non-sectarian governance in Syria within six months.
- Free and fair elections to be held in Syria under UN supervision within 18 months.
Categories: India Current Affairs 2017