Sikkim: Best State in implementation of rural tourism projects.
The Union Ministry of Tourism declared Sikkim as the best State in the implementation of rural tourism projects. The Union Minister for Human Resource Development Dr. Shashi Tharoor presented the National Tourism Award 2012-13 to Sikkim’s Tourism Minister Bhim Dhungel in New Delhi.
- As per the Union Tourism Ministry, Sikkim is the perfect destination to experience warm hospitality, rich culture and scenic natural beauty.
- The tourism department of Sikkim had tied up with states viz. Kerala, Gujarat, Karnataka and Goa for tourist flow from these states to Sikkim.
- To ensure international tourism flow in the state, the department is also negotiating with countries viz. Bhutan and Nepal.
To boost tourism in Sikkim
- The Chief Minister Mr. Pawan Chamling, launched an ambitious Rs.140 crore project for developing various tourism convenience facilities, view points, halting points, conferences, retiring units and other infrastructural facilities project in the state.
- Sanctioned Rs.50 crores for setting up facilitation centres in Gangtok and various other important tourist destinations of the state.
- A total 20 facilitation centres will be set up in the state for strengthening tourism facilities, and added that capacity building, training, marketing, manpower and human resources will be strengthened under these facilitation centres.
- The main facilitation centre will be set up in Gangtok at a total cost of Rs.40 crores, while the other facilitation centres in small towns and major tourist destinations will be constructed at a cost of Rs.50 lakh each. All facilitation centres will start to function by the year 2015.