Three South Asian women selected for International Women of Courage Award 2015
Three South Asian women have been selected for the prestigious International Women of Courage Award for the year 2015 by the United States.
- Captain Niloofar Rahmani from Afghanistan Air Force.
- Nadia Sharmeen– Journalist and women’s rights activist from Bangladesh.
- Tabassum Adnan– founder of Khwendo Jirga from Pakistan.
These women were selected for the award for their demonstrating exceptional courage and leadership in advocating for peace, justice, human rights and gender equality.
They will receive the prestigious award in the presence of US First Lady Michelle Obama in Washington DC on 10 March 2015.
About International Women of Courage Award
- It was establish in 2007 on March 8 i.e. International Women’s Day.
- Presented by- United States Department of State annually.
- Presented to- Women around the world who have shown leadership, courage, resourcefulness and willingness to sacrifice for the others, especially for better promotion of women’s rights.
- Since the inception, 86 women from more than 50 different countries including India have been honoured with this award.
- Indian recipients- Nirbhaya “fearless” victim of Delhi gang rape (2013), Ms. Laxmi -acid attack victim (2014).
Categories: Awards & Honours