Sri Lanka’s first satellite launched by China
China launched Sri Lanka’s first satellite from western Sichuan province, China.
- This shows China’s deepening strategic and economic engagements with Srilanka.
- Launch carried out by SupremeSAT, a private company which has an agreement with the Chinese government-run Great Wall Industry Corporation (GWIC).
- As per Sri Lankan government there was no state involvement in the launch as it was carried out by a private company.
- China is expanding its satellite programme overseas.
- The GWIC has launched satellites for a number of countries, including Pakistan, Nigeria, Bolivia and Venezuela.
- In 2012, the GWIC launched Pakistan’s first communications satellite PAKSAT-1R satellite.