Stanpan Suraksha app launched to promote breastfeeding
The Union Tribal Affairs Minister Jual Oram launched ‘Stanpan Suraksha’ mobile application to promote breastfeeding and keep a tab on “inappropriate” promotion of baby food items.
The mobile application has been developed by the Breastfeeding Promotion Network of India (BPNI).
- Stanpan Suraksha is first-of-its-kind app deveopled for promoting breastfeeding and baby food promotion reporting mechanism.
- Using it any person can click a photograph of inappropriate baby food promotion around them and related equipment and send it to BPNI.
- The app also has a city-wise database of trained breastfeeding counsellor to educate and provide assistance to mothers during antenatal and postnatal period.
- It has sign up option for mothers who wish to become a breastfeeding counsellor, pledging for petition and donation.
- It aims to become instrumental in gathering incremental evidence to report on promotion of baby foods from remote locations.
What is the issue?
Undermining of the breastfeeding practices is rampant in the country mainly due to cultural barriers and myths associated with breastfeeding. 79% of the babies are delivered in institutions, out of which only 45% given breastmilk in the first hour. To address this problem Union Government had launched MAA (Mothers Absolute Affection) programme.
Categories: India Current Affairs 2018