Supersonic Cruise Missile BrahMos test fired
The Anti-ship version of supersonic cruise missile BrahMos was test fired from the launch complex-3 of Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur in Odisha.
About BrahMos Missile
- The name BrahMos is formed from names of two rivers i.e. Indian river Brahmaputra and the Moskva River of Russia.
- Manufacturer: The missile is manufactured at BrahMos Aerospace Limited which is a joint venture between India’s Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and Russia’s NPO Mashinostroyenia (NPOM).
- Strategic Importance: The supersonic cruise missile is a strategic asset for India as in case of any possible threats from China and Pakistan it would act as deterrence against them.
- Deployed: It has been operationalised in Indian Army, Indian Air Force (IAF) and Indian Navy.
- Features: It is often described as the world’s fastest supersonic cruise missile. It is highly versatile thus can be fired from land, sea and air with a high rate of precision and accuracy. In modern-day complex battlefields, Brahmos has established itself as a major force multiplier with its impeccable land-attack, anti-ship capabilities along with a high rate of precision and accuracy. It also has multi-role and multi-platform abilities.
- Range: The medium-range ramjet supersonic cruise missile has a strike range of about 290 km.
Categories: Defence Current Affairs