550th birth anniversary of Baba Guru Nanak Current Affairs - 2020
PM Modi is on an official visit to Thailand to attend the ASEAN, RCEP and East Asia Summits. He addressed the Indian diaspora in the country at the “Sawasdee PM Modi” event in the Thai capital, Bangkok.
Highlights of his address
- North East India to be the gateway to South East Asia as a part of India’s Act East Policy
- India announced itself open-defecation free on Mahatma Gandhi’s 150th birth anniversary
- Around 8 crore homes have received free LPG connections in 3 years.
- GoI is working to achieve the goal of house for every poor by 2022, when India celebrates 75 years of independence.
- Princess Maha Chakri Srindhorn is an expert in Sanskrit language and has deep interest towards culture. India has shown its gratitude to her by bestowing the Padma Bhushan and Sanskrit Samman award to her.
Prior to his speech, the PM released a commemorative coin marking 550th birth anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev and also released the Thai translation of Tamil classic Tirukkural.
Tags: 550th birth anniversary of Baba Guru Nanak • ASEAN • commemorative coin • East Asia Summit • India-Thailand
On October 24, 2019, India signed the Agreement with Pakistan for the operationalization of the Kartarpur Sahib Corridor at Zero Point, International Boundary. The representatives from Ministry of External Affairs, Ministry of Defence, Ministry of Home Affairs and the representatives from Punjab Government were present during the ceremony.
About Kartarpur Sahib Corridor
To celebrate the occasion of 550th Birth anniversary of Sri Guru Nanak the Indian Government passed a resolution in November 2018 for the construction of Kartarpur Sahib Corridor. The 4.2 km corridor connects the Dera Baba Nanak in the Indian side with the Kartarpur Sahib Gurdwara in Pakistan
Highlights of the agreement
- Every Indian pilgrim of all faiths and persons of Indian origin can use the corridor
- The travel is Visa free and the pilgrims have to carry a valid passport alone
- The persons of Indian origin are required to carry the OCI card
- The corridor will remain open from dawn to dusk. However, pilgrims have to return on the same day
The main issue that still prevails is that Pakistan is to levy 20 USD as service charge per pilgrim per visit. India had consistently urged Pakistan not to levy charges. India still went ahead and signed the agreement.
The prakashpur550.mha.gov.in has gone live on October 24, 2019 for the pilgrims to register. The pilgrims are to be provided with Electronic Travel Authorization on registration that they need to carry when they arrive at the Passenger Terminal Building.
Tags: 550th birth anniversary of Baba Guru Nanak • Baba Guru Nanak Dev • Dera Baba Nanak • Gurdwara Darbar Sahib Kartarpur • India-Pakistan