59th Raising Day Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Border Roads Organisation (BRO) was formed on on 7 May 1960, with primary goal of securing India’s borders and developing infrastructure in remote areas of India’s north and north eastern states. On 7 May 2019 BRO celebrated its 59th Raising Day (foundation day).
- It is a leading road construction agency under Ministry of Defence.
- Its primary role is to provide road connectivity in India’s border areas. It also creates up-grades and maintains infrastructure along borders to meet India’s overall tactical and strategic goals.
- Apart from road construction it also executes maintenance works along Northern and Western frontiers mainly to meet strategic requirements of Indian Army. It is responsible for over 53,000 Km roads.
- Its work involves Formation Cutting, Surfacing, Bridge construction and Resurfacing.
- It contributes towards India’s strategic objectives in neighbouring regions by constructing roads in friendly foreign nations like Afghanistan, Bhutan, Myanmar, Sri Lanka and Nepal.
- Disaster management: It has played important role in reconstruction work after tsunami in Tamil Nadu in 2004, Kashmir earthquake in 2005, Ladakh flash floods in 2010 etc.
- To meet challenges of enhancing overall strategic connectivity along borders BRO has begun organizational re-structuring and simplified procedures with adequate delegation of financial powers to executives.
- To enhance its capabilities it is now executing works in combination of departmental, contractual and EPC (Engineering, Procurement and Construction) mode.
Tags: 59th Raising Day • Afghanistan • Bhutan • Border Roads Organisation • BRO