Abhinav Bindra Current Affairs
The National Rifle Association of India (NRAI) has constituted five-member review committee to probe the Indian shooters’ Rio Games debacle.
The committee will be headed by India’s first and only individual Olympic gold-medallist Abhinav Bindra. It will submit the report within a maximum period of four weeks.
Other members of the committee include former tennis player Manisha Malhotra, NRAI Secretary Rajiv Bhatia and two journalists.
- The committee will examine and identify causes behind shooting not securing any medals at the Rio Olympics.
- It will recommend concrete steps that NRAI must immediately undertake to ensure that this is not repeated in future Olympics.
About National Rifle Association of India (NRAI)
- The NRAI was founded in 1951to promote and popularize the shooting sports in India.
- It has is affiliated to Indian Olympic Association (IOC) and all International Shooting Federations/Confederations.
- Presently, NRAI conducts five national level competitions annually with a view to promote and popularize the sports of shooting in India.
- The first speaker of Lok Sabha, GV Mavlankar was the founder and the first president of NRAI.
Ace Indian shooter Abhinav Bindra has clinched gold medal in the men’s 10 metre Air Rifle event of the Asian Air Gun Championships held in New Delhi.
Bindra shot 208.3 points to settle at first position ahead of Kazakhstan’s Yurkov Yuriy (206.6) who is current world number eight and Yu Jaechul (185.3) of South Korea.
In this event, India’s Gagan Narang was placed at fourth position with a score of 164.5 points. While another Indian, Chain Singh placed at seventh position of after notching up 122.7 points.
It should be noted that, Abhinav Bindra had won gold in 2008 Beijing Olympics in 10 metre Air Rifle event becoming first Indian to win individual gold in the prestigious games. Gagan Narang had won a bronze in the same event in 2012 London Olympics.