Abhinav Bindra Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Ace Indian shooter Abhinav Bindra (36) and still India’s only individual Olympic gold medallist was awarded coveted International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) Blue Cross. With this Bindra is the first Indian to be awarded the Blue Cross. The award is conferred for outstanding contribution to sport of shooting and honours distinguished members of the international shooting fraternity. Blue Cross is highest recognition conferred by parent body of international shooting ISSF.
He has won Olympic gold medal (2008), World Championship gold (2006), 7 Commonwealth Games medals and 3 Asian Games medals in shooting. He became first Indian to win individual Olympic gold medal by winning the top prize in 10m Air Rifle event at 2008 Games held in Beijing, capital of China. He was given Arjuna award in 2000, Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna in 2001 and Padma Bhushan in 2009. He narrowly had missed out on second Olympic medal at 2016 Games in Rio de Janeiro, post which he decided to retire from sport at the age of 33 to make way for next generation of Indian shooters.
The National Rifle Association of India (NRAI) has constituted five-member review committee to probe the Indian shooters’ Rio Games debacle.
The committee will be headed by India’s first and only individual Olympic gold-medallist Abhinav Bindra. It will submit the report within a maximum period of four weeks.
Other members of the committee include former tennis player Manisha Malhotra, NRAI Secretary Rajiv Bhatia and two journalists.
- The committee will examine and identify causes behind shooting not securing any medals at the Rio Olympics.
- It will recommend concrete steps that NRAI must immediately undertake to ensure that this is not repeated in future Olympics.
About National Rifle Association of India (NRAI)
- The NRAI was founded in 1951to promote and popularize the shooting sports in India.
- It has is affiliated to Indian Olympic Association (IOC) and all International Shooting Federations/Confederations.
- Presently, NRAI conducts five national level competitions annually with a view to promote and popularize the sports of shooting in India.
- The first speaker of Lok Sabha, GV Mavlankar was the founder and the first president of NRAI.