Act East Policy Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Defense Minister on November 14, 2019 addressed at the 11th Maitree Diwas in Tawang, Arunachal Pradesh. During his address, he announced several new plans of the government to develop the region
Government new plans
- Government plans to set up a North East Industrial Corridor. It will help create job opportunities for the people in the North East
- The Arunachal Corridor, in specific will act as a bridge between India and South East Asia
- The corridor will help boost employment opportunities and promote trade and tourism
- Government is implementing the “Act East Policy” through development of North East India
- Hollongi Airport is to be set up near Itanagar. Also, three major strategic railway lines are to be established
- Government plans all weather connectivity to the local population. The connectivity will also facilitate the movement of armed forces.
- The plans are to be executed by 2024.
Maitree Diwas is a 2-day socio-military cultural program that is jointly organized by Tawang Civil Administration and Indian Army. The program is organized to celebrate special relationship between the people of Tawang and the Indian army. This year, the theme was
Theme: Know your army.
The objective of the event is to encourage the youths to join armed forces
Tags: Act East Forum • Act East Policy • Arunachal Pradesh • Association of South East Asian Nations • Indian Army
PM Modi on the sidelines of 35th ASEAN summit and 14th East Asia Summit, met the President of Indonesia H.E. Joko Widodo and the Thailand PM Prayut Chan-o-Cha (Gen (retd)).
Highlights of the meetings: Indonesia President
- The leaders discussed the threat to extremism and terrorism and agreed to work closely. The meeting on terrorism is important for India’s interests in the Indo-Pacific region.
- Also, they discussed on trade, investment and connectivity and Indo-Pacific
- India has asked for greater market access in the region in the fields of pharmaceuticals, agricultural products and automotive.
- The meeting also gains its importance as India and Indonesia are celebrating their 70th anniversary of establishment of diplomatic relations. The countries are close maritime neighbors having historical and cultural linkages. Also India’s ‘Act East Policy’ is complimented by Indonesia’s ‘Look West’ policy.
Highlights of the meetings: Thailand PM
- The leaders welcomed the 20% increase in the bilateral trade between the countries
- They agreed to explore opportunities for cooperation in defence industries sector
- PM Modi discussed ways to enhance connectivity between the two countries in the areas of digital connectivity and physical connectivity.
- India and Thailand are close maritime neighbors. India’s Act East Policy is complimented by the Thailand’s Look West Policy as that of Indonesia.