Act East Policy Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
India hosted the World Customs Organization (WCO) Asia Pacific Regional Contact Points (RCP) that was held for 3 three days on Puducherry. The conference is being held for the fourth time in India. Previously it was held in Jaipur and Cochin.
- International Organizations like UNCTAD, Global Alliance on Trade Facilitation (GATF) participated in the conference. They presented the best practices that are involved in customs procedures.
- The conference also discussed about the key focus areas of the Asia Pacific Region. It includes security, enforcement, facilitation and capacity building.
World Customs Organization
- The World Customs Organization is an inter-governmental Organization that is involved in setting up principles and standards especially for cross border procedures and customs.
- The headquarters of WCO is located in Brussels.
- The Organization has divided the world into 6 regions to make the rules across borders of these regions easier.
- India is a member of the organization.
- The Asia Pacific accounts to 37% of the world’s GDP.
- Also, the region is important for India as it is trying to increase its trade and investment in the region. India is achieving this through its Act East Policy.
- The development of North East Region is also linked with India’s interests in Asia Pacific. India is finding markets in the region for the export of goods from North East.
- It is also essential for India to increase its presence in the region as China has larger interests in the region especially in the markets of the region.
Tags: Act East Policy • Asia Pacific Group • GDP • UNCTAD • World Customs Organization (WCO)
Defense Minister on November 14, 2019 addressed at the 11th Maitree Diwas in Tawang, Arunachal Pradesh. During his address, he announced several new plans of the government to develop the region
Government new plans
- Government plans to set up a North East Industrial Corridor. It will help create job opportunities for the people in the North East
- The Arunachal Corridor, in specific will act as a bridge between India and South East Asia
- The corridor will help boost employment opportunities and promote trade and tourism
- Government is implementing the “Act East Policy” through development of North East India
- Hollongi Airport is to be set up near Itanagar. Also, three major strategic railway lines are to be established
- Government plans all weather connectivity to the local population. The connectivity will also facilitate the movement of armed forces.
- The plans are to be executed by 2024.
Maitree Diwas is a 2-day socio-military cultural program that is jointly organized by Tawang Civil Administration and Indian Army. The program is organized to celebrate special relationship between the people of Tawang and the Indian army. This year, the theme was
Theme: Know your army.
The objective of the event is to encourage the youths to join armed forces