Actress Current Affairs - 2020
Renowned Hollywood actress Doris Roberts passed away in Los Angeles in her sleep. She was 90.
She was best known for playing meddling mother Marie Barone in US sitcom Everybody Loves Raymond (1996–2005).
About Doris Roberts
- Born as Doris May Green on November 4, 1925 at Missouri, US and grew up in New York.
- She had started her acting career in 1952 with a role on the TV series Studio One.
- She also had acted in several Hollywood films which include Madea’s Witness Protection, The Rose, and The Taking of Pelham 123.
- Awards and Honours: She had won five Emmy Awards during her acting career. Four of them were for her role in Raymond and the other was for her supporting role on the series St. Elsewhere.
Tags: Actress • Doris Roberts • Entertainment • Hollywood • Obituary
Renowned Irish-American actress and singer Maureen O’Hara passed away in Boise, US. She was 95.
She was one of the last living stars from the Golden Age of Hollywood of the 1940s and 1950s. She was known for playing fiercely passionate but sensible heroines roles.
About Maureen O’Hara
- O’Hara was born in 1920 in Dublin in then United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland (present Ireland).
- Acting career: She started her career in 1939 after she was brought to Hollywood by legendary actor Charles Laughton.
- Her first film was The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1939). Since then she had she had starred in more than 60 films.
- She also had acted in How Green Was My Valley (1941) which had won five Oscars including best picture and best director for John Ford.
- She was famously known as the queen of Technicolor in the film industry due to her red hair and green eyes.
- Airline Business: After retiring from acting career in 1970s, she successfully ran an airline business with her aviator husband Charles Blair. After her husband’s death she became first woman in US history to head a scheduled commercial airline.
- Autobiography: Tis Herself (published in 2004).
- Awards: Though she was never nominated for a competitive Academy Award, but in 2014 she was presented with an Honorary Academy (an honorary Oscar).
- She is only the second actress to receive an Academy Award for acting without having been nominated previously after Myrna Loy.