Advertisement Current Affairs
The advertising industry watchdog Advertising Standards Council of India (ASCI) has come up with a set of guidelines for celebrities endorsing products. As per the guidelines, celebrities are personalities from the field of entertainment and sports and also includes other well known personalities like doctors, authors, activists and educationists who gets compensation for appearing in advertisements.
- Celebrities must exercise due diligence to make sure that all description claims and comparisons made in the advertisements that they endorse are not misleading and deceptive.
- It will be the duty of the advertiser and the advertising agency to make sure that celebrities are aware about the ASCI guidelines.
- ASCI have barred celebrities to endorse product/treatment/remedy that is prohibited under The Drugs & Magic Remedies Act (Objectionable Advertisements) and the Drugs & Cosmetic Act.
- Celebrities should not endorse those products which by law require a health warning on its packaging or advertisement.
- Celebrities seeking the advice of ASCI to ascertain whether the advertisement potentially violates any provision of the ASCI code or not would be considered of having completed due diligence. Also, the advertising advice of ASCI cannot be construed as pre-clearance for an advertisement.
Advertising Standards Council of India
ASCI is a self regulatory, voluntary, non-governmental body of the advertising industry founded in 1985. The aim of ASCI is to enhance the public’s confidence in advertising and ensure that all advertising material is truthful, legal, honest, decent and not objectify women and fair.
The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has inked a MoU with Advertising Standard Council of India (ASCI) to check misleading advertisements in the food and beverages sector.
This partnership between FSSAI and ASCI will put in place a mechanism to monitor misleading advertisements. It will also lead to streamlining advertisements effectively through structured guidelines and appropriate action.
- As part of the MoU, ASCI will comprehensively monitor these advertisements across various media.
- FSSAI has given a suo motu monitoring mandate to ASCI to process complaints against misleading advertisements of food and beverages.
- ASCI will report to FSSAI, the non- compliance of its decisions for further action as required per provisions of the FSS Act.
- FSSAI will also redirect complaints against misleading food and beverages advertisements to ASCI, which will be reviewed using ASCI’s code and guidelines.
- The review will include violation of the FSS Act and regulations related to advertisements making unsubstantiated, misleading or false claims.
About Advertising Standards Council of India (ASCI)
- ASCI is a self-regulatory voluntary non-governmental organization (NGO) of the advertising industry in India.
- Aim: To maintain and enhance the public’s confidence in advertising.
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- Established: 1985 by three main constituents of advertising industry viz advertisers, advertising agencies and media.