Agriculture Ministry Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
On February 10, 2020 the Union Minister of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare inaugurated the celebrations of World Pulses Day in New Delhi that aims to increase the production of pulses.
Pulses are important to improve soil fertility. They help to increase the productivity of the farmland. They also help to promote farm bio diversity by using intercropping methods. Also, the pulses help to reduce dependence on synthetic fertilizers as they naturally introduce nitrogen in the soil.
The UN Pulses Day resolution was adopted in 2013 claiming the year 2016 as International Pulses Day. The day is being celebrated since 2019. By celebrating the day, the United Nations aim to increase public awareness of environmental and nutritional benefits of pulses.
It is important to promote cultivation os pulses as it helps farmers to create economic stability and household food security.
Pulses Production in India
India became self-sufficient in pulses since 2016-17. In 2018-19, India produced 22 million tonnes of pulses. It is now working to achieve the target of 26.30 million tonnes by 2018-19.
Tags: Agriculture • Agriculture Ministry • India-United Nations • Pulses • Pulses production
The National Agro Chemical Congress was conducted for four days in New Delhi. The Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare hosted the event. It was the first of its kind. It is to be conducted once in three years. The Theme of the Congress was
Theme: Country’s Status on various fronts of Agro chemicals
Recommendations of the Congress
- It is necessary to label the pesticides indicating their mode of action
- The status of the country should be assessed in its preparedness in invasive exigencies
- To rethink on restrictive banning of pesticides
- Government has to bring in a policy regarding data protection of imported pesticides
- Empowerment of farmers through training.
- Policy to introduce safe nano-formulations
According to the Congress, the above factors are currently absent in the country. It believes that these recommendations are essential to improve efficient use of pesticides.
Highlights of the event
- The event outlined the importance of responsible use of agro Chemicals.
- It also highlighted the precision technologies used to reduce wastage of applied chemicals
- Various seminars and lectures were presented that focused on discouraging false claims about agro chemicals and tackling the spread of wrong perception among the citizens about agro chemicals.
- The aim of the congress is to highlight the role played by chemical pesticides in pest management. It emphasized on target specific and environment friendly products
- The Congress also focused on new concepts in human health, nanotechnology, crops, resource management, smart formulations related sciences to help to boost agricultural productivity.
Tags: Agriculture • Agriculture Ministry • agro chemicals • Climate Smart Agriculture • Indian Agriculture