AICS Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Union Government has appointed veteran sports administrator Vijay Kumar Malhotra as President of newly established All India Council of Sports (AICS).
With this he became first President of AICS and was given an equivalent rank of a Minister of State (MoS) in the Union Council of Ministers.
About Vijay Kumar Malhotra
- VK Malhotra was born on 3 December 1931 in Lahore (now in Pakistan) in then undivided British India. He holds a Doctorate in Hindi Literature.
- Prior to this appointment, Mr Malhotra was President of Archery Association of India and had served for 40 years.
- He also had acted as the Senior Vice President of the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) and served as acting President of the IOA after the 2010 Commonwealth Games scandal.
AICS also includes former sportspersons including PT Usha, Baichung Bhutia, N Kunjarani Devi, Limba Ram, IM Vijayan, and P Gopichand as its members.
About All India Council of Sports
- AICS is as an advisory body established in July 2015 to deliberate on matters relating to the development and promotion of sports and games in the country.
- Composition: It will be headed by a President in the rank of Minister of State (MoS). It will include 4 Members of Parliament (MPs), coaches, experts, sports personalities, administrators and Director General (DG) of Sports Authority of India (SAI).
Union Government has constituted All India Council of Sports (AICS), as an advisory body to deliberate on matters relating to the development and promotion of sports in the country.
Government will duly consider the advice rendered by this Council, but it will not be binding and obligatory on the government.
Facts about All India Council of Sports (AICS)
- Composition: It will be headed by a president in the rank of Minister of State (MoS). It will include 4 Members of Parliament (MPs), coaches, experts, sports personalities, administrators and Director General (DG) of Sports Authority of India (SAI).
- Appointments: President and members, other than ex-officio members will be appointed by the Union Government.
- Meeting: It will meet from time to time i.e. at least once in a quarter of year to deliberate on matters related sports and games in the country.
- Functions: Popularize sports amongst the youth and increase its outreach to rural and tribal areas along with North East and Jammu & Kashmir, areas affected by Left Wing Extremism.
- Promote inclusiveness in sports with special focus on women, tribals and differently-abled.
- Prevent fraud of age and sexual harassment of women in sports along with drug abuse.
- Bring transparency, professionalism and good governance in functioning of National Sports Federations (NFS).
- Promote sports sciences and sports medicine and augment the sports infrastructure and ensure its proper utilization.
- Tackle the issues arising malpractices in competitive sports especially match fixing and early identification of sports talent and nurturing the identified talent.