AIFF Current Affairs - 2020
The All India Football Federation recently recommended the former Indian Captain IM Vijayan for the fourth highest civilian award in India, the Padmashri.
IM Vijayan has scored 40 goals in over 79 matches. He won the Arjuna award in 2003. Also, in 1993, 1997 and in 1999 he was awarded the best Indian “Player of the year”.
PAdmashri is the fourth highest civilian award in India. The other three highest civilian awards include Bharat Ratna, PAdma Vibhushan and Padma Bhushan. The awards are presented by the President of India during Republic Day celebrations of the country.
The Padma Awards are being awarded to the citizens since 1954. The awards are being presented under the categories such as medicine, education, sports, literature, industry, public affairs, social service.
As of 2020, around 3,123 people have received the award.
Tags: AIFF • AIFF Awards • AIFF Player of Year • All India Football Federation • COVID-19
Former Croatia international Igor Stimac appointed Indian men’s football team coach. His name was recommended by All India Football Federation’s (AIFF, is governing body of association football in India) technical committee, headed by Shyam Thapa.
- His first assignment as Indian men’s football team coach will be upcoming ‘King’s Cup’ 2019 in Thailand, where India in its first match will face Curacao, a Caribbean nation.
About Igor Stimac
- Now 51 years old Stimac, was was an integral part of “golden generation” of Croatia that finished third at the 1998 FIFA World Cup.
- In his 14-year managerial career, he coached Croatian national team between 2012 and 2013. During his tenure Croatia shot up to fourth spot on world rankings, (its best ranking in over 15 years).
- He has worked with Croatian clubs like Cibalia Vinkovci, Hajduk Split, FC Zagreb and Zadar, Qatari club Al-Shahania and Iranian club Sepahan.
- He led his native club of Hajduk Split to Championship title in 2004-2005, this was his first and only taste of silverware.