AIIB Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) which is headquartered at Beijing expects an investment of 100 million USD in India in a year. The foreign investment is to enter India through the bank in Wind and solar projects.
AIIB approves 500 million USD for MUTP 3
- On November 16, 2019, the bank approved a loan of 500 million USD in three suburban rail infrastructure projects.
- The projects are being executed under MUTP-Mumbai Urban Transport Project
- The project curbs trespass deaths by including mid-section trespasses. It is the first of its kind in the country.
AIIB Investments in India
- AIIB has so far invested 2.9 billion USD. It amounts to 30% of the total investment
- India is the largest borrower of AIIB.
- The bank is planning to increase its investments in the future. It has a long-term strategy framed for the investments in India. In 2019-20, the plan is to invest around 4.5 billion USD. Next year the target is to increase the investment to 5 billion USD. The plan is to reach 10 billion USD by 2025.
The ongoing key projects of AIIB includes the following
- 400 million USD has been invested by the bank in the rural water supply system of Karnataka
- Around 1 billion USD is being spent on power distribution and transmission in the state of Assam.
- 800 million USD is to be invested in Chennai Metro.
Tags: AIIB • AIIB-India • Foreign Investments in India • Infrastructure Development • Infrastructure Investments
The 3rd Annual Meeting of Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) concluded in Mumbai, Maharashtra in optimistic note to raise its lending capacity to boost prosperity and security in Asia. The meeting was jointly organised by Department of Economic Affairs under Union Finance Ministry and AIIB.
The theme of third meeting was ‘Mobilising Finance for Infrastructure: Innovation and Collaboration’. It was attended by over 3,000 delegates from 86 member countries of AIIB. It was held on high note to improve connectivity within region and in turn enable citizens in the region to reach their potential and enjoy prosperity and security. It had several concurrent sessions that discussed critical issues pertaining to environment, low carbon emissions, connectivity through railway network across borders among several others.
The first AIIB board of governors annual meeting was held in Beijing, China in 2016 and second in Jeju, South Korea in 2017 . The fourth annual meeting will be held in Luxembourg in July 2019. Luxembourg is a founding member of AIIB. It is also leading international financial center in Europe and facilitator of investments between Europe and Asia.
Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB)
AIIB is multilateral development bank initiated by China. Its purpose is to provide finance to infrastructure development and regional connectivity projects in Asia-Pacific region. It is viewed as Asia’s response to West-dominated Asian Development Bank (ADB) and World Bank (WB).
It was officially established in December 2015 with mission to improve social and economic outcomes in Asia and beyond and opened for business in January 2016. It is headquartered in Beijing, China. Its goals are to boost economic development in Asia-Pacific region, provide infrastructure, and promote regional cooperation and partnership. It priorities investments in energy, power generation, transport, rural infrastructure, environmental protection and logistics in Asia.
So far it has 86 members including India (US is not its member of AIIB but its allies Canada, Germany, UK, Australia and South Korea have joined it). It has an authorised capital of US $100 billion. China is largest shareholder of AIIB with 26.06% voting shares. India with 7.5% vote share is second largest shareholder followed by Russia, Germany and South Korea.