Air Force Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Indian Air Force (IAF) has successfully fired recently acquired long range air-to-air MICA missile from Mirage-2000 Upgrade combat aircraft on a manoeuvring target.
During the test, the missile achieved a direct hit on a target which was much smaller than an actual aircraft and flying at a low altitude.
With this success IAF has become one of the few air forces in the world that have capability of launching such beyond visual range (BVR) air-to-air missile.
Mirage-2000: It is a single-engine fourth-generation jet fighter manufactured by France’s Dassault Aviation. The upgraded Mirage 2000 fighter jets are fitted with the Thales RDY 2 radar, new avionics, helmet-mounted display. They have ability to fire new weapons including BVR MICA, Meteor missiles.
China inducted its largest indigenously-built transport aircraft named as Y-20, marking a crucial step in its Air Force history for improving its strategic power projection capability.
It is also considered as a breakthrough for Chinese defence sector especially in military aviation technology which will allow the world’s largest force to transport cargo and troops over long distances in diverse weather conditions.
- The indigenously designed and developed Y-20 officially joined the PLA Air Force in Chengdu.
- It is ideal for transporting cargo and personnel over long distances in diverse weather conditions. It has a maximum take-off weight of 200 tonnes.
- The plane is comparable to the Russian-made IL-76 and US made C-17. It is more advance than the IL-476.
- Its induction will make easier for Chinese PLA to deploy troops, enable military to act more promptly and respond to emergencies in a better manner
- The Y-20 had undergone its maiden flight in January 2013 and since then it had undergone trials runs, including in the rugged Tibetan terrain,
- It had made its debut at the 10th China International Aviation and Aerospace Exhibition in November 2014.