Ajay Shirke Current Affairs
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Supreme Court has sacked Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) President Anurag Thakur and BCCI secretary Ajay Shirke after they failed to implement the reforms recommended by the Justice Lodha committee.
The apex court held that Mr. Thakur and Mr. Shirke are unfit to continue at helm of BCCI for their obstructionist attitude and their incapacity to make affiliated State associations fall in line with Lodha committee.
- SC ordered them to forthwith cease and desist from associating themselves with Indian cricket’s most powerful sporting body. With this, SC set the stage for a revamp of the country’s top cricketing body.
- It said a committee of administrators having experience and integrity for the committee will be appointed to run the BCCI.
- Till the committee will be formed, the seniormost vice-president of the BCCI to take over as BCCI president and the joint secretary to replace him.
- Once the committee of administrators is formed, the SC appointed Lodha committee’s recommendations will be confined to overall policy-making.
- Besides, the court found Mr. Thakur prima facie guilty of both contempt of Supreme Court proceedings and perjury (fabrication of false evidence).
- The court also concluded that BCCI President had apparently acted to garner evidence that the SC appointed Lodha Committee’s interventions in the working of the BCCI amounted to “governmental interference.”