All India Football Federation Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Former Croatia international Igor Stimac appointed Indian men’s football team coach. His name was recommended by All India Football Federation’s (AIFF, is governing body of association football in India) technical committee, headed by Shyam Thapa.
- His first assignment as Indian men’s football team coach will be upcoming ‘King’s Cup’ 2019 in Thailand, where India in its first match will face Curacao, a Caribbean nation.
About Igor Stimac
- Now 51 years old Stimac, was was an integral part of “golden generation” of Croatia that finished third at the 1998 FIFA World Cup.
- In his 14-year managerial career, he coached Croatian national team between 2012 and 2013. During his tenure Croatia shot up to fourth spot on world rankings, (its best ranking in over 15 years).
- He has worked with Croatian clubs like Cibalia Vinkovci, Hajduk Split, FC Zagreb and Zadar, Qatari club Al-Shahania and Iranian club Sepahan.
- He led his native club of Hajduk Split to Championship title in 2004-2005, this was his first and only taste of silverware.
Tags: AIFF • All India Football Federation • All India Football Federation’s • Cibalia Vinkovci • Croatian clubs
All India Football Federation (AIFF) recommended names of National team footballers Gurpreet Singh Sandhu and Jeje Lalpekhlua for the prestigious Arjuna Award 2019.
AIFF has been pushing Sandhu and Jeje cases since 2017 but Arjuna Award committee didn’t approve their claims in past two years.
In 2017 AIFF recommended Sandhu and Jeje names along with then Indian women’s team captain Bembem Devi, but Arjuna Award committee didn’t approve their claims in past two years and only Devi was conferred with the award. Again in2018 they did not receive the approval.
After Sunil Chhetri, Sandhu and Jeje are Indian national team’s longest serving footballers. Sunil has received both Arjuna and Padma Shri. Also, Sandhu is only second footballer ( after Sunil Chhetri) in India to play Asian Cup final rounds twice in 2011 and 2019.
Gurpreet Singh Sandhu
He currently plays for Bengaluru FC and had earlier played for Norwegian side Stabaek. He set a unique record in 2016, by becoming first Indian footballer to play competitive match in European top division league.
He currently plays for Chennaiyin FC in ISL (Indian Super League). The 28-year-old from Mizoram has 23 international goals to his credit and is an exceptionally talented striker. He was inducted in national team in 2011 by then coach Bob Houghton. He currently plays for Chennaiyin FC in the ISL.
Instituted in 1961, it is India’s second highest sporting award after Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award. It is bestowed upon sportsperson for consistently outstanding performance for four years. It is bestowed upon sportsperson in recognition of their consistently outstanding performance for four years in National sports. It is confered by Union Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports and award carries bronze statuette of Arjuna, a scroll and a monetary award of 5 lakh rupees.