All India Radio Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Celebrated cricket broadcaster Ashis Ray released a new book titled ‘Cricket World Cup: The Indian Challenge’. It the new book he has Ray penned down the journey of Indian cricket at the World Cups since the inaugural edition of WCs in 1975.
About ‘Cricket World Cup: The Indian Challenge’ Book
- It is published by Bloomsbury.
- It describes the readers about the beautiful journey witnessed by India ever since1975 when the West Indies won 60-over World Cup held in England.
- It reviews all World Cup tournaments from year 1975 to 2015 as well as previews ongoing 2019 World Cup in England and Wales.
- The book records all matches played by India, since the World Cup inaugural (44 years ago) and also every semi-final and final regardless of whether India featured in them or not.
- It provides details about the story of India’s turning point in One Day Cricket (ODI) held in Guyana when in March 1983 Indian team under Kapil Dev defeated previously unassailable West Indies in their own backyard.
- In total nine chapters of book Ray has talked about all facets of Indian cricket with details of India’s performance in each and every World Cup and also about the controversies such as Greg Chappell’s controversial tenure as India coach or Indian Premier League (IPL) corruption scandal.
About Ashis Ray
- He is the world’s senior-most active cricket broadcaster.
- At the age of 24 in 1975, Ray made his debut as a Test match commentator on All India Radio (AIR).
- He holds the merit of being World’s youngest Test match commentator.
- During the BBC’s coverage of 1983 edition of World Cup match(in which India defeated cricket giants West Indies), he was the only Asian ball-by-ball commentator.
The Financial Literacy Week 2019 will be observed from 3 June to 7 June. It is an annual initiative by Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to promote awareness on key topics through a focused campaign.
- The theme of Financial Literacy Week 2019 is ‘Farmers’ which focuses on how they can benefit by being a part of the formal banking system.
- Objective: The aim of initiative is to create awareness about financial products and services, good financial practices, going digital and consumer protection.
- During the Financial Literacy week, the messages disseminated will be focussed on Responsible Borrowing & Agricultural Finance.
- Measures: RBI’s Financial Education Initiative includes-
- The FAME (Financial Awareness Messages) booklet– which provides basic financial literacy messages for information of general public.
- Tailored financial literacy content developed by RBI which can be used by the trainers in financial literacy programmes primarily for five target groups namely Farmers, Small entrepreneurs, School children, Self Help Groups (SHG) and Senior Citizens.
- RBI has designed Audio visuals on “Basic Financial Literacy“, “Unified Payments Interface” (UPI) and “Going Digital” for the benefit of general public on topics relating to Financial Literacy.
- Both Rural and Urban banks are advised to display the posters and content in their branches, Financial Literacy Centers, ATMs and websites.
- During month of June, RBI will also undertake a centralized mass media campaign on Doordarshan and All India Radio (AIR) to disseminate essential financial awareness messages to farmers via these mediums.
- Significance: With 60% of country’s population employed in agriculture, growth in agriculture becomes necessary for overall economic growth and finance act an essential enabler for the same. Thus, RBI is actively involved in formulating policies that enhances flow of credit to farming community.