All India Services Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has extended service of Cabinet Secretary Pradeep Kumar Sinha for a further period of three months.
This was third extension given to IAS officer Sinha, whose tenure was increased by one-year each in 2017 and 2018. This exceeds term of four year cap for total term of Cabinet Secretary mandated under All India Services (Death-Cum-Retirement-Benefits) Rules, 1958. However, to allow extension of PK Sinha’s beyond four year term Government has amended these rules.
It has inserted subrule 1A under rule 16 of All India Services (Death-Cum-Retirement-Benefits) Rules, 1958. It provides that Central Government may in public interest give an extension in service for a further period, not exceeding three months, beyond the period of four years to the Cabinet Secretary.
About Cabinet Secretariat
- It functions directly under the Prime Minister. It is allocated business under Government of India (Allocation of Business) Rules, 1961. It provides Secretarial assistance to Cabinet and Cabinet Committees and Rules of Business. Cabinet Secretary is administrative head of Cabinet Secretariat.
- Functions: (i) It is responsible for administration of Government of India (Allocation of Business) Rules, 1961 and Government of India (Transaction of Business) Rules, 1961. Thus, it facilitates smooth transaction of business in Ministries/ Departments. (ii) It also assists in decision-making in Government by ensuring Inter-ministerial coordination, irons out differences amongst Ministries/Departments and evolving consensus. (iii) It manages major crisis situations in the country.
- Cabinet Secretary: He is administrative head of Cabinet Secretariat. He is also ex-officio Chairman of Civil Services Board. He is the top-most executive official and senior-most civil servant (mainly for IAS cadre) of the Government of India.
- N R Pillai was the first cabinet secretary of independent India and served from February 6, 1950 to May 13, 1953.
- Y N Sukthankar had served as cabinet secretary for longest duration from May 14, 1953 to July 31, 1957.
Tags: All India Services • Cabinet Secretariat • Cabinet Secretary • ex-officio Chairman of Civil Services Board • Government of India (Allocation of Business) Rules
President Ram Nath Kovind has appointed Arvind Saxena as Chairman of Union Public Service Commission (UPSC), which conducts examination to select bureaucrats, diplomats and police officers. He will have tenure till August 7, 2020, when he attains the age of 65 years. Prior to this appointment, he was working as acting Chairman of UPSC since June 2018. He had joined UPSC as member in May 2015. Prior to joining the UPSC, he was working as director of the Aviation Research Centre (ARC).
He was student of civil engineering from Delhi College of Engineering and holds M.Tech in systems management from Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi. He was selected for civil services and joined Indian Postal Service in 1978. In 1988, he started working at Cabinet Secretariat, where he specialised in study of strategic developments in neighbouring countries. He has served in different countries and in states of Jammu and Kashmir, Punjab and Himachal Pradesh. He is recipient of awards for meritorious services (2005) and distinguished services (2012).
Union Public Service Commission (UPSC)
UPSC is constitutional body which conducts the prestigious civil services examination to select IAS, IFS and IPS officers among others. It has been established under Article 315 of the Constitution and consists of Chairman and ten Members appointed and removed by President.
The chairman and members of the Commission hold office for a term if six years or until they attain the age of 65 years, whichever is earlier. It conducts the prestigious civil services examination to select officers of Indian Administrative Service (IAS), Indian Foreign Service (IFS) and Indian Police Service (IPS) among others.