Alok Verma Current Affairs
Delhi Police Commissioner and Senior IPS officer Alok Kumar Verma was appointed as new Director of the Central Bureau of Investigation. He will have tenure of two years.
He was selected by a three-member committee comprising Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Chief Justice J S Khehar and Congress leader Mallikarjun Kharge.
He will take over from interim director Rakesh Asthana, who was handed the reins of the premier investigating agency after former director Anil Sinha retired on December 2, 2016.
About Alok Verma
- He is a 1979 batch IPS officer of the Arunachal Pradesh-Goa-Mizoram and Union Territory (AGMUT) cadre.
- Prior to taking charge as the Commissioner of Delhi Police in February 2016, he was the Director General of Tihar jail.
- He has served in the Delhi Police in number of positions, including DCP (south district), JC of Crime Branch, JCP (New Delhi Range), Special CP (Intelligence) and Special CP (Vigilance).
- He has also served as the Inspector General (IG) of Police in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, and as the Director General of Police (DGP) of Puducherry.
About Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI)
- CBI is the foremost investigative police agency in India. It derives power to investigate from Delhi Special Police Establishment Act, 1946.
- It was established in 1941 as the Special Police Establishment. It was renamed to present nomenclature in 1963.
- Headquarters: New Delhi.
- Motto: Industry, Impartiality, Integrity.
- It is headed by Director, an IPS officer of DGP rank. He is selected as per the provisions of Central Vigilance Commission (CVC) Act, 2003.
- The CBI Director is selected by a collegium comprising Prime Minister, Chief Justice of India and Leader of Opposition or leader of the largest party in opposition in Lok Sabha.