Ambikapur Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
India’s first ‘Garbage Café’ will soon be opened in Ambikapur city in north Chhattisgarh. It is initiative of Ambikapur municipal corporation. It aims to make Ambikar city plastic-free.
India’s first ‘Garbage Café
In this unique Café, poor people and rag pickers will get free food in exchange for one kilogram of plastic. Besides they will also provided with breakfast in return for exchanging half a kilogram of plastic brought to the cafe. The collected garbage through this café will be sold at Solid Liquid Resources Management Centre. It will be further be turned into granules and will then be used in the construction of roads in the city.
Ambikapur City and Waste management
It is Chhattisgarh’s first dustbin-free city. It has efficient solid waste management system.
It has been hailed as second cleanest city in the country in Swachhata rankings after Indore.
It also has road made with plastic granules and asphalt. 1st such road in Chattisgarh was made in the city by mixing eight lakh plastic bags. The road constructed by mixing plastic and asphalt is durable, because water does permeate through it.
The opening of garbage cafe is another step towards the city’s aim to become free from plastic waste.
The Self Help Groups (SHGs) of women are involved in door to door collection of waste.
Tags: Ambikapur • Chhattisgarh • Garbage Cafe • Self-Help Groups • Swachh Bharat Mission
Swachh Survekshan Awards are given by the Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs based on the survey which covered all urban local bodies in the country. The Survey was the largest such cleanliness survey in the world.
Swachh Survekshan Awards 2019
- Indore was adjudged India’s cleanest city for the third straight year.
- The second and third positions were clinched by Ambikapur in Chhattisgarh and Mysore in Karnataka.
- Ahmedabad has been named the cleanest big city with a population of more than ten lakh.
- Ujjain has been awarded cleanest medium city having a population between 3 lakh to 10 lakh.
- New Delhi Municipal Council area was given the ”Cleanest Small City” award.
- Uttarakhand’s Gauchar was adjudged the ”Best Ganga Town”.
- Bhopal has been named the cleanest capital.
- Raipur won the ‘Fastest Moving Big City’.
- Mathura-Vrindavan won the tag of Fastest Moving Medium City.
- Chhattisgarh has bagged the top spot in the category of best performing states. Jharkhand is at the second spot while Maharashtra is at the third.
The winners were awarded a statue of Mahatma Gandhi’s memento by the President Ram Nath Kovind.