Amrita University Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
On February 18, 2020, the Times Higher Education Ranking was released in London. The ranking was titled “The Emerging Economies University Ranking 2020”.
Around 11 Indian Universities were included in the top 100. However, China had more Universities than India in the ranking. Around 30 Universities of China were in the top 100.
The Indian Institute of Science was ranked 16th among the top 100 Universities of emerging Economies. The ranking included 533 Universities from 47 countries all over the world. Out of these, 56 Indian Universities appeared in the ranking.
Institute of Eminence
The Scheme was launched by GoI in 2017. One of the participating institutes of the scheme Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham entered the top 100 for the first time. It had moved 51 places from its ranking of 141 in 2019.
The Institute of Eminence scheme provides funding from the GoI. They possess greater autonomy.
The IIT Kharagpur moved up 23 places to 32nd rank, IIT Delhi improved by 28 places and was at 38th rank and IIT Madras was at 63rd rank climbing 12 places.
Tags: Amrita University • IISC • IIT Delhi • IIT Madras • Institutes of Eminence
The London-based Times Higher Education (THE), a global organisation that produces data, analysis and expertise on higher education has released the Emerging Economies University Rankings 2019. The 2019 ranking comprises of 450 universities from 43 countries, across four continents.
The rankings use 13 performance indicators to provide comprehensive and balanced comparisons to reflect the characteristics of the emerging economy universities.
These 13 performance indicators are grouped under 5 categories: Teaching (the learning environment); Research (volume, income and reputation); citations (research influence); International outlook (staff, students and research); and industry income (knowledge transfer).
Findings in the Rankings
The standings of Indian universities in the rankings are as outlined below:
- The Indian Institute of Science has topped the rankings among Indian institutes with 14th rank; the second spot among Indian Institutes was occupied by the Indian Institute of Technology Bombay with 27th rank.
- IIT Roorkee has moved up by 21 places to 35th rank due to improvements in its research (volume, income and reputation) and industry income (knowledge transfer).
- IIT Indore (61st) and the JSS Academy of Higher Education and Research are at joint 64th position.
- Savitribai Phule Pune University has moved up by 87 positions to joint 93rd, alongside the National Autonomous University of Mexico. The increase in the rankings of Savitribai Phule Pune University is attributed to its research score and a significant rise to its citations score.
- Banaras Hindu University, Amrita University, Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Pune and IIT Hyderabad also features among the top 150 in the rankings.
The Universities of Mainland China are most represented in the rankings with 72 institutions in total.
Tags: Amrita University • Banaras Hindu University • Emerging Economies University Rankings 2019 • IIT Hyderabad • IIT Indore