AMRUT Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
On December 18, 2019, the Government of India extended the deadline of its flagship scheme AMRUT (Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation) by two more years. The mission was launched in 2015 by PM Modi promising 139 lakh water connections and 145 lakh sewer connections by March 2020. The expenditure of the mission was estimated as Rs 77,640 crores.
According to Data Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs, in the last five years 2,316 projects have been completed so far at an expense of Rs 7,195 crore. The ministry also says that 46% of water connection and 28.3% of sewer connections have been achieved between June 2015 and December 2019. GoI has so far implemented the mission, prioritizing water connections to households.
After its launch, Rajasthan was the first state to submit its State Annual Action Plan (SAAP). The plan is submitted by the state governments to the centre. With the help of the plan the centre formulates city level estimation of budget required to avail water supply, draining system, sewerages, digital and internet facilities, industrial and transport facilities, etc.
The SAAP was submitted by West Bengal, Andhra Pradesh (for Amaravati project that was closed recently), Haryana, Maharashtra, Jammu and Kashmir, Madhya Pradesh and Telangana.
Tags: AMRUT • Drainage Infrastructure • Government Data • Sewage Treatment • Smart City
Union Minister of Environment, Forest and Climate Change has released a publication titled “India – Spearheading Climate Solutions” on 12 February, 2019. This document mentions India’s key actions taken towards combating and adapting to climate change.
India’s Key Actions Towards Combating and Adapting Climate Change
- India’s National Action Plan on Climate Change (NAPCC) that has eight major missions on Solar, Enhanced Energy Efficiency, Sustainable Habitat, Water, Sustaining the Himalayan Ecosystem, Green India, Sustainable Agriculture and Strategic Knowledge on Climate Change.
- International Solar Alliance (ISA) – It is an alliance of 121 countries, most of them sunshine countries (i.e. lying either completely or partly between the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn). It was founded in 2015 at Paris and was initiated by India. Membership now has been extended to all the members of the United Nations
- State Action Plan on Climate Change (SAPCC)
- FAME Scheme – It stands for Faster Adoption and Manufacturing of (Hybrid &) Electric Vehicles (FAME-India) Scheme, which was launched in 2015 under the National Electric Mobility Mission Plan (NEMMP). It aims to create the infrastructure for and promote e-mobility.
- Atal Mission for Rejuvenation & Urban Transformation (AMRUT) –The scheme was launched in the year 2015 and is solely aimed for Smart Cities
- Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana – The scheme was launched in 2016. It aims for providing access to clean cooking fuel
- UJALA scheme – It stands for Unnat Jeevan by Affordable LEDs and Appliances for All and was started in 2015. Its aim is to embrace energy efficient LED bulbs
- Swachh Bharat Mission – It is a nationwide campaign from 2014 to 2019 aiming to clean up India.
- National Adaptation Fund for Climate Change (NAFCC) – It was launched in 2015-16 and aims to support robust adaptation techniques to reduce adverse effects of climate change.
Other Initiatives Taken by Government
Apart from the above, Government of India has taken an ambitious goal of generating 175 GW of renewable energy by 2022. India will leapfrog from Bharat Stage -IV to Bharat Stage-VI emission norms by April 2020. India’s renewable energy capacity stands at more than 74 GW today including about 25 GW from solar. Further, India submitted its Second Biennial Update Report (BUR) to UNFCCC (United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change) in December 2018 as per the reporting obligations under the convention, which stated that India’s GDP came down by 21% between 2005 & 2014. It also stated that India’s climate-goal for pre-2020 is well on track.
Tags: AMRUT • Atal Mission for Rejuvenation & Urban Transformation • Bharat Stage • FAME Scheme • International Solar Alliance