Andy Murray Current Affairs - 2020
The 2016 Wimbledon Championships was a tennis tournament held from 27 June to 10 July 2016. It was the 130th edition of the championships and the 49th edition in the Open Era.
The tournament had taken place at the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club in Wimbledon, London, United Kingdom.
Men’s Singles Title
- Britain’s Andy Murray won the 2016 Wimbledon title in men’s singles category. It was his second Wimbledon title after he had won it for first time in 2013. In final match he defeated Canada’s Milos Raonic by 6–4, 7–6(7–3), 7–6(7–2) score.
Women’s Singles Title
- Serena Williams of United States has won 2016 Wimbledon title in women’s singles category. In the final match played she defeated Germany’s Angelique Kerber by 7–5, 6–3 score. It is Williams’ seventh Women’s Singles Wimbledon title (2002, 2003, 2009, 2010, 2012 and 2015) and overall 22nd Grand Slam title.
Men’s Doubles Title
- French pair of Pierre-Hugues Herbert and Nicolas Mahut won the 2016 Wimbledon title in the men’s doubles category. In the final match they defeated French pair Julien Benneteau and Édouard Roger-Vasselin by 6–4, 7–6(7–1), 6–3 score.
- US pair of Serena Williams and Venus Williams won the 2016 Wimbledon title in the women’s doubles category. They defeated Tímea Babos (Hungary) and Yaroslava Shvedova (Kazakhstan) pair by 6–3, 6–4 score.
Mixed Doubles Title
- Henri Kontinen (Finland) and Heather Watson (United Kingdom) pair won the 2016 Wimbledon title in the mixed doubles category. They defeated Robert Farah (Colombia) and Anna-Lena Grönefeld (Germany) pair by 7–6(7–5), 6–4 score.
Tags: 2016 Wimbledon • Andy Murray • Persons in News • Serena Williams • Sports
Andy Murray (World No.3) from Britain has won the 2016 Italian Open title of Tennis in the men’s singles category. It was Murray’s first Italian Open title.
In the final match played in Rome, Andy Murray defeated Novak Djokovic (World No.1) for the first time on the clay court by 6-3, 6-3 score.
Andy Murray is second British male tennis player to win Italian Open title after George Patrick Hughes who had won it in 1931. He is also the first British singles champion in Italy since Virginia Wade who had won the title in 1971.
Women’s Single Title
Serena Williams (World No 1) from United States has won the 2016 Italian Open title of Tennis in the women’s singles category.
In the final match, she defeated Madison Keys by 7-6, 6-3 score. It was Serena Williams’ fourth Italian Open title after she won in 2002, 2013 and 2014.
Women’s Doubles Title
India’s Sania Mirza and her Swiss partner Martina Hingis (World No. 1 pair) have won the2016 Italian Open title in the Women’s Doubles category.
In the final match, the World Number One pair defeated the 7th seeded Russian pair of Ekaterina Makarova and Elena Vesnina by 6-1, 6-7, 10-3 score.
Men’s doubles Title
Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan pair from United States has won the the2016 Italian Open title in the men’s Doubles category.
In the final match, they defeated pair of Vasek Pospisil (Canada) and Jack Sock (United States) by 2–6, 6–3, [10–7] score.
About Italian Open
- The Italian Open is an annual tennis tournament held in Rome, Italy. It is also known as the Rome Masters and the Italian Championships.
- It is played on clay courts, currently held during the second week of May and is second most prestigious red clay tennis tournaments in the world after the French Open.